Skip to content


Victorinox Swiss Knives | Exciting News: Canadian Retailer - Kakushin

Victorinox Swiss Knives | Exciting News: Canadian Retailer

Kakushin is excited to announce its partnership with the esteemed Swiss brand, Victorinox, as an authorized Canadian retailer. In this blog, we highlight the distinctive features that make their kitchen knives essential for both home and commercial use.

Intro - About Victorinox

Established in 1884 by Karl Elsener, Victorinox began as a cutler's workshop with a mission to alleviate poverty in Switzerland. The company's commitment to solid values and social responsibility is mirrored in its independent family structure, with 90% of shares held by the Victorinox Foundation. This unique ownership ensures 90% of profits remain as reserves for the company, while the remaining 10% supports charitable projects.

What Steel does Victorinox use?

Most of their kitchen knives are made from Martensitic steel, renowned for exceptional hardness, corrosion resistance, and durability. Martensitic steel typically contains 0.5% carbon, placing these knives on the cusp of being classified as high-carbon knives, but shouldn't be mixed with Japanese Carbon Steel knives that have different characteristics.

With this in mind, Victorinox knives are known for being easily sharpened, not only due to the steel but also because of their thin geometry. The steel is highly rust and stain-resistant, but it can tarnish if the blade is neglected.

These qualities make Victorinox Martensitic steel an excellent choice. 
The knife's Rockwell Hardness is around 56-57, as specified by Victorinox. While considered soft compared to Japanese knives, this allows the blades to strike a good balance between edge without being too brittle. With low maintenance, they can be easily honed to the desired factory sharpness. With several models starting at only $10 CAD, they are budget-friendly and worry-free.
Victorinox Knife Colors

In the below image, we cut with ease into a strawberry with the 80mm (3-inch) paring knife:

Victorinox Paring Knife
Perfect for home cooks and chefs in a busy restaurant, these blades deliver incredible accuracy and performance, effortlessly handling a variety of culinary tasks from butchering to fine cuisine.
What are the models produced by Victorinox?

Recognizing the importance of aesthetics in the kitchen, Victorinox offers diverse knife lines with distinctive designs, allowing users to create a personalized culinary haven. 

Swiss Classic

Known as the legacy of kitchen knives, the Swiss Classic has been touched by everyone at one point. With a light feel in hand and dishwasher-resistant fabrication for commercial kitchen use, they come in various shapes, sizes, and colors to meet all possible requirements in the kitchen.

Swiss Wood

Derived from the popular Swiss Classic series, the Wood Collection offers a distinct look and ergonomics to please most home cooks, while also proving its worth in commercial kitchens. Made from rosewood, renowned for its elegance and durability, the Wood Series lends a rustic charm to any kitchen at an affordable cost.

Swiss Modern

With an elegant design, the Swiss Modern Collection is available with European walnut handles and synthetic composites in various colors, including a classy black. Ideal for home use, these knives aren't shy about being on display, as they offer a unique aesthetic not found in any other collections.

Grand Maître

With a goal to please both, amateur cooks and professionals alike, the Grand Maître collection is distinguished by its heavier and more refined look. Each piece in this collection is made from a full and single piece of hardened, forged full-tang steel. This design ensures a smooth and seamless transition between the blade and handle, while the handle provides optimal comfort for extended use, even during long shifts in the kitchen.

In the image below we compare the rosewood (left) to the elastomers (right) handles:


It's worth emphasizing in our videos and posts that the true value of a product isn't solely determined by its price tag. Quality knives can also be affordable, and with proper care such as hand-washing, honing, and basic sharpening, Victorinox knives can last a lifetime. As we introduce these knives to Our Canadian inventory, we encourage you to delve into their extensive collection and experience firsthand why they're trusted by chefs worldwide.

Previous article Build Your Own Knife | Easy & Fast Customization
Next article Hydrate Your Knife Handle and Wooden Cutting Board

Leave a comment

* Required fields

Popular Collections